I am a DWI lawyer with 25 years experience and the founder of The Coffey Firm, which specializes in DWI and Criminal Defense. The Coffey Firm are also Family Violence Lawyers in Tarrant County and Family Violence Attorneys in Dallas County The Coffey Firm handles a wide range of cases from class B misdemeanors up to 1st degree felony offenses. In addition, I have appeared numerous times as a legal commentator for CNN, Fox News, as well as local Dallas/Fort Worth stations. I am board certified by the National College of DUI Defense (NCDD) and also listed on several Top and Best directory listings such as Wise county DWI Lawyers, Arlington DWI Lawyer, Dallas DWI Defense Lawyers, Forth Worth DWI Attorney, DWI attorneys Collin County and DWI attorneys Parker County. I am a caring DWI Lawyer in DFW, I am also involved in the Texas Tech School of Law foundation and I enjoy using the skills I have developed to give back to the community.
At the end of 2020, I was elected as a Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation. Only one-third of 1% (which means .33%!) of Texas Lawyers are invited to become fellows each year. On top of that, nominees have to be elected by the Board of Trustees. This means that not all of that .33% ultimately become Fellows. In other words, becoming a Fellow is a very high and very rare honor.
Board certified in DWI Defense by the NCDD. Co-author of Texas DWI Defense: The Law and Practice, now in its second edition. Featured on local and national networks on DWI stories and other legal commentating. National and statewide speaker on DWI and various trial aspects. Has both testified and written laws on DWI in the Texas State legislature.
More about Mimi Coffey
When people look for a Top DWI Attorney or Best DWI Attorney, they look for experience, certification, and respect in the legal community. Mimi Coffey is a nationally-renowned trial attorney, board-certified in DWI by the NCDD. She has been practicing for over 24 years and is an author of multiple DWI Defense textbooks. She is also a national and state-wide lecturer on the law.
The Coffey Firm handles a wide variety of cases, including Unlawful Carrying Weapon (UCW), Assault (including family violence), and Possession charges.
Mimi is also listed on several “top” directory listings such as DWI Lawyers for Wise County, DWI Lawyer Tarrant County, DWI attorney Dallas County, DWI attorneys Collin County and DWI attorneys Parker County. Mimi is a caring DWI Lawyer in DFW, She is also involved in the Texas Tech School of Law foundation and enjoys using the skills she has developed to give back to the community.
Here Are Some Key Points About Her Credentials:
1. She is board certified in DWI defense by the National College of DUI Defense (NCDD).
2. Mimi is a Regent with the National College of DUI Defense.
3. She is the chairman of the NCDD Forensics Committee.
4. Mimi has appeared as a legal commentator for CNN, national Fox News, and local Dallas/Ft. Worth stations on DWI-related stories.
5. She is a frequent speaker at both national and state-wide seminars. As a Regent of the NCDD, she educates lawyers across the country.
6. Mimi tries cases. She is an experienced attorney with a proven trial record (over 300 cases, with 80% of them being jury trials). Her successes include everything from .21 breath tests, blood tests to 3 car accident cases.
7. Mimi is a fighter. Her cases have made excellent case law for the State of Texas. She even sued the Texas Department of Public Safety in federal court on the Texas DPS surcharge program. When Pantego Police • Department started using officers to draw blood in DWI cases, she even sued the individual officer in civil court.
8. She has won the President’s Heart of a Champion Award from the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (TCDLA) numerous times. She has spoken at and been the course director for mandy TCDLA DWI seminar (co chairing Mastering Scientific Evidence in New Orleans for many years).
9. Mimi led the effort to get the Texas Board of Legal Specialization to recognize the NCDD’s DWI Certification.
10. Mimi has been active over many legislative sessions in fighting bad DWI laws. Her efforts prevented the breath/blood test refusal as being a separate crime. On top of that, she has also argued for true deferred adjudication for DWI. It was her bill that State Representative Charlie Geren passed that entitles citizens accused to a copy of their DWI video tape, previously forbidden by law.
11. She has written and been published on DWI/DWI related articles four times nationally and six times statewide. She is the author of Texas DWI Defense published by Lawyers and Judges Publishing, now in its second edition.
Mimi Coffey is a DWI lawyer who is passionate about helping people with arrest. Further, she has dedicated her entire career to defending people accused of crimes. Although many defense lawyers have been former prosecutors, she is proud of the fact her entire career has honed in on perfecting the art of the defense. Reputation and integrity matter, Mimi has built her reputation in the legal community through many years of hard work. Alongside the years, came a wide array of factual scenarios in which to hone her craft. “I remember when a young man came to me who could not understand why his breath test was so high. Utilizing my training and research, we were able to prove his rare blood disease affected his hematocrit and therefore his breath result. No doubt, it is truly rewarding to so specialize in a field so that you can spot the outlier issues that can critically affect a case.” Check out more about Mimi at Top Attorneys in Dallas.